The Parish of Spofforth and Kirk Deighton with Follifoot and Little Ribston.
1st Sunday: 10.30 Family Service
2nd Sunday: 10.30 Morning Prayer
3rd Sunday: 10.30 Holy Communion
4th Sunday: 9.30 Holy Communion (1662)
5th Sunday: 10.00 Holy Communion in Rudding Park Chapel (jointly with the other churches in the Parish)
TASK meets on the first Sunday of the month at 9.30, before the family service.
Priest in Charge: Rev’d Sylvia Earle, Tel 01937 573975. E Mail
House for Duty Priest: The Revd Professor Myra Shackley. Tel: 01937 590770
History of All Saints Church
The actual date of the Church's foundation is unknown as no mention is made of a Church in the Doomsday book. An old tradition has Harry Hotspur linked to the early Church.
In 1893 a portion of a Saxon cross was found built into the stairs of the Tower.
It is likely that an earlier Church existed, being rebuilt between 1175 and 1200. The doorway in the south porch is Norman and dates from around this time. The tower was built in 1450.
A controversial restruction of the Church took place in 1855.
The first rector was Master Henry de Evesham inducted in 1280, a scholar theologian with a knowledge of medicine that was renowned throughout Europe.
Another famous rector was William de Melon (1310-1317) Treasurer of England and keeper of the great seal. James Tripp (1847-1879) built the Church and school at Follifoot. He also built the schools at Linton and Spofforth.
Four good bells and a bad clock ...
When the Trinitarin priory was dissolved in Knaresborough, 4 of its 12 bells were said to have been given to Spofforth. Another tradition is that the bells came from Fountains Abbey. The earliest bell dates from between 1570-1593.
Church records ...
The Church has excellent records the following examples are from the Churchwarden's accounts and Archdeacon Visitations:
1582: Against Alexander Parishe. ‘He gave evill wordes to the Mynister when he was barred from coyon (communion) by reason of his lewde lyfe'
1607: Against Robert Walker for working on holy days
1636: Against Thomas Woodburne for teaching schoole without a lisence1692: To ye ringers for ringing out the news of limerick surrendered ...1s 0d
705: A new whip for beating ye dogs out of ye church ...6d
Sir Robert Plumpton, 1314 a knight has an effigy which can be seen in the Church.
Blind John (Jack) Metcalf, the first of the professional road builders to emerge during the British Industrial Revolution is buried in the churchyard. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Metcalf_(civil_engineer)